God convicted my heart through The Frizz? No way!

The Magic School Bus is back as a Netflix exclusive and my kids are loving it.




It was a favorite of mine as a kid so I couldn't be more thrilled with the show's return. We were all excited to see it on our Netflix menu. We sat down after church on Sunday to watch an episode as a family. The kids were a little upset at first by the change to the beloved Ms. Frizzle (*spoiler alert* This new Ms. Frizzle is the former, and now higher educated, Professor Frizzle's little sister)  but they soon got over their disappointment as the show delivered on it's fun and easy to understand science messages.

The episode we chose to watch was about wind flow as taught through the story of the 3 Little Pigs.

The students were attempting to build a tower from bricks that would withstand the huffing and puffing of the Big, Bad Wolf. Of course, there was science to be learned here. I watched as Ms. Frizzle allowed her class to construct what they thought was a very strong tower all the while knowing that this particular tower had flaws and would not be able to withstand the huffing and puffing. The time came for the test and like we were expecting this tower crumbled to the ground.

 
 Ms. Frizzle gave some tips and asked some questions to engage her students and they tried again. Unfortunately...another fail, as Ms. Frizzle had known it would be. Once more, she offered questions to probe their minds and they tried again.


This time building a successful, strong, huff proof, tower. It was great.

Ok, so why am I giving you a review of The Magic School Bus? Because I was convicted in a big way. Let me explain.


Ms. Frizzle stood by watching her students build a tower knowing they were making mistakes. She smiled the whole way knowing that these trial and error experiences are the real teachers. She offered safety and support while encouraging deeper thinking by asking questions instead of giving answers.

I was convicted of the way I homeschool my own children. I found myself wanting to teach more like a cartoon teacher on a children's show. (I mean, the magic part would certainly help too but I guess that's not an option...) I find so often that I just want my kids to get from point A to point B. I want them to read the book, retain the knowledge and *BAM* just like that. Learned. In all honesty, I'd really like for them to be more robotic some days. I rarely enjoy giving time to mistake making for the sake of learning. I began thinking about all the times during my own education experiences that I learned through messing projects up only to try again...and then again... to finally get it right. I can still to this day tell you multiple concepts learned through trial and error from my grade school years.

And then the bigger lesson took shape in my heart...

I started connecting this to God and my relationship to him. How he walks me through different lessons of my life knowing full well all the mistakes I am making. I can't help but wonder if he, like Ms. Frizzle to her students, watches me with a smile knowing that I am clumsily learning. Patiently, graciously watching me unpack the lessons he is trying to teach me and being filled with joy when I **hopefully** get it. It's a wonder filled thought. He is a good, good Father. While the analogy is flawed and I could follow this path into deeper more theological issues, it has done my heart good to ponder it in a simple form relating it to my own parenting. 

And after wondering this I am even more convicted at the thought. Why do I want to rush my children through learning? Why do I just want them to buckle down and get to the answer? I want to be Christ-like. He dealt with his disciples in a similar way. I want to ask questions, patiently wait for them to stumble to the answer while encouraging them and caring for how they get there. Why is this so hard for me?

After a decent amount of self reflection the answer is simple. I'm selfish. I have things I want to get done, time I want to invest in other things, places to be, etc. "I don't have time to sit here all day watching you figure this out when I already know the answer and could just help you so that all this goes faster and smoother for everyone..."  Wow. That's ugly all written out. And while I would never let those words escape from my lips to my children's ears the sin remains in my heart.

I know I'm not the only one who has had this thought. I know there are others who might struggle with this. I want to encourage you. Maybe we could all learn a little from "The Frizz" while our kids learn a little science.  

Looks as though I'm finding myself learning a lesson through mistakes today.

*deep breath*

Thank you, Father, for your loving grace to walk beside me as I awkwardly stumble through this lesson. May you be glorified as I learn.

Comments

Popular Posts